Sunday, February 1, 2015

Here in the Middle

Let me first say I don’t really like beginnings or endings- books, classes, trips, summers, snacks, projects, and the list could go on. For me, I much prefer the middle, and I think it has something to do with the challenge that accompanies it. The challenge not to give up, to stay enthusiastic, to be present, and to know that the middle counts. In fact, back in high school a priest convinced me that it counts the most. During one of his homilies he said, “fidelity is won in the middle,” and that phrase is something that has stuck with me. Because after the initial excitement has worn off but much before the accomplishment of the end, there is the middle. In reflecting on this over the past few years of college, I have learned that this middle can mean monotony, repetition, and drudgery. However, it can also mean creativity, mindfulness, and loyalty.
            Up until this point I have been speaking in mostly abstract terms, but let’s talk how this can make sense right now. We are all in the middle of the academic year. It’s halfway done and there’s halfway to go, which deems right now the perfect time to reflect. There is a lot to consider, including academics, work, extra-curriculars, relationships, self-care, and of course, faith. How are all of these areas?  What is keeping us from committing ourselves more deeply? Are we content with the way things are, and if we are not, are we willing to make changes? These are questions I find useful at times such as this.
            Especially important to consider is faith life. For me, I see my faith in the middle as an opportunity to experience a new level of awareness and gratitude. Each 9pm Mass at College Church, every time I meet with my Christian Life Community, and all of those Upper Room Monday nights are chances to recognize not only the sacredness of tradition, but also the nuances of the Spirit. I keep going back because I have found that God meets us in the middle in a more subtle way. We are asked to look beyond what we think we know in order to experience God in all the ways She offers. So, before running off to the next class, meeting, or coffee date take a minute to reflect on the first half of this school year and remember God’s presence right here in the middle.

Cami Kasmerchak is the Campus Ministry GROW Intern.

No comments:

Post a Comment