Sunday, February 8, 2015

Do Something!


I often listen to Christian music during my prayer time to God. Today I was listening to “Do Something” by Matthew West and the lyrics jumped out me:

I woke up this morning
Saw a world full of trouble now
Thought, how’d we ever get so far down
How’s it ever gonna turn around
So I turned my eyes to Heaven
I thought, “God, why don’t You do something?”
Well, I just couldn’t bear the thought of
People living in poverty
Children sold into slavery
The thought disgusted me
So, I shook my fist at Heaven
Said, “God, why don’t You do something?”
He said, “I did, I created you”


So often we see injustices happen before our eyes or we read about them in the newspaper or listen to them on the news. It is easy to get discouraged by the way the world looks sometimes. It is also easy to look to God and ask “why?” It is hard to imagine how our beautiful and powerful Creator could let such evil occur in the world. But maybe we are not looking at the whole picture. Look around. There is you. There is me. There are millions of others. Can’t we do something? I would argue that it is our duty, as Christians, to do something. God gave us gifts for a reason, and I challenge you to see how you can use those gifts to change the world. Let’s not be passively living. Next time you get frustrated with something you see, instead of asking God why He is not do something, try asking yourself the same question.

Hannah Vestal is a junior majoring in Theological Studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment