Sunday, August 18, 2013

Welcome!

Welcome to our Department of Campus Ministry blog!  Each week, one of our campus ministry team will offer up a reflection for you to ponder.  All are welcome to reflect in your own way, to join us in response, and to experience the fruits of your reflection with the Divine.

Over the past month, my own life has been a tumble and jumble, maybe some of what you are experiencing as you are returning to Saint Louis University, returning to teach or work, gearing up for the busyness of the first semester.  Having resigned from my previous position in Milwaukee in June, I found myself packing, cleaning, saying goodbye to friends and family, and finding myself within the midst of a great deal of stress.  On July 7,  I packed up the car and the cats (Charlie and Bernard) and drove to St. Louis with my brother David as my companion for that leg of the journey.  Once the movers arrived on the 8th, I tried to put some semblance of order into my life, knowing that I was beginning work at SLU on the 10th. 

As I reflect on that time and on my last month in Campus Ministry at SLU, I find that what has sustained me and helped give me some order is going back to a quiet place of prayer.  With all of the stress in our lives sometimes we forget to pray; we forget to open our ears to listen to God’s presence.  But God is always listening for us and God is always there to love us.


One of my favorite places to spend time is the Jesuit Retreat House in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.  There, in the silence, I can find time to just listen to what God is calling me to do and to be.  Let me share one of my favorite pictures of that retreat house.



What I love about this picture is that it reminds me of the experiences I have had of prayer there and it helps to ground me.  I’ve gone back to this picture many times over the last month.  It helps me to remind myself to take that time to listen and to embrace God’s love for me. 

Do you have a memory or an experience which can help ground you in your prayer?  How do you listen to God?  How do you remind yourself of God’s love for you?

I encourage you to take some time in the busyness of these first weeks of the semester to sit in humility and silence so that you can hear God’s voice and not yourself.  Perhaps this prayer can help guide you. Blessings on your semester!

Sue Chawszczewski
Director of Campus Ministry

Teach me to listen, O God, to those nearest me, my family, my friends, my co-workers.

Help me to be aware that no matter what words I hear, the message is, “Accept the person I am. Listen to me.”

Teach me to listen, my caring God, to those far from me– the whisper of the hopeless, the plea of the forgotten, the cry of the anguished.

Teach me to listen, O God my Mother, to myself. Help me to be less afraid to trust the voice inside — in the deepest part of me.

Teach me to listen, Holy Spirit, for your voice — in busyness and in boredom, in certainty and doubt, in noise and in silence.

Teach me, Lord, to listen.  Amen.

John Veltri, S.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment